06 kwietnia 2011

A Student Once Again

I ventured out today for my first Polish course since last summer. I've got a course now, 90 minutes three times a week. There's just three of us plus our teacher so it's great so far! After just one class it's hard to say how hard it will be but we all enjoyed the class and I think my classmates are around the same level as me. I was a little anxious this morning because I hadn't been on the receiving end of a teacher's questions for so long. Honestly, I was so excited for my course to start that I had trouble sleeping last night. I wasn't exactly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (try explaining that one to your English students) this afternoon but I had fun.

After a long day I'm far from having enough energy to blog in Polish but I will partially update the słownictwo tonight with some of the new words we used today in class. Today you only get the Polish half. When I get a minute I'll add the English translations. One thing is for certain - my vocabulary really needs a lot of work. My słownictwo from today's class alone has 39 new words on it. I also already have homework!


It's fun to be making faster progress in Polish again and blogging more. Thanks to my new and old readers. As always, your comments are welcome! I'm especially grateful to you patient souls who provide a correction from time to time. Thanks for participating and I hope someone out there is learning as much as I am.

While you're here, click the Facebook 'like' icon to the right so you can be informed via Facebook of updates and other Borsuk na Pradze news, contests, and explorations of Polish and Warsaw. Leave your comments and suggestions in the language of your choice.

6 komentarzy:

  1. Well done! Sounds like fun!!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. It's great to be in a course again, there is more motivation to make progress if you have to keep up with the class.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Kolin, is "bushy-tailed - a reference to the tail of a cat, which fluffs up when the animal becomes excited. The expression means cheerful and lively, and it dates back to the nineteenth century." a good and proper explanation to the meaning and etymology of that phrase? I have to confess, that I haven't had the foggiest idea what does it mean, except literally, "bright-eyed" - okay, it's simple and easy to figure out, but not the latter one.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. Oh, and to add-up something to your vocabulary as a pay off for my English-related question, an easy phrase, one of the ALMOST-free-words :

    light-minded -> lekkomyślny (adj) [lekki (adj) ->light & myśl (n) ->thought]

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. Thanks for the free word! I love the almost free ones. I'll add it to today's list.

    As far as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed - it's a good question! I was just explaining this one to a student this week and I didn't have a good answer for her etymological question either. The Urban Dictionary says it refers to the appearance of an alert squirrel, replete with bushy tail - ready for anything. Another source I just read thinks it refers to a fox hunt, a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed fox being most suitable for an engaging hunt.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. Dzięki! So every source has its animal - you can choose the one you like the most, fair enough :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Uwaga: tylko uczestnik tego bloga może przesyłać komentarze.